Brazil patent application requirements and general information
1.- Brazil Patent Application requirements
– Patent Filing service form.
– Patent specifications (abstract, description, claims and drawings) in English and in Word format.
– Copy of any amendment made to the patent specifications if it applies.
– Copy of the priority document, PCT application number or ISR (International search report) if it applies.
– Payment upfront.
– Power of attorney signed. The template of this document will be sent once the service request is confirmed.
2.- Other information
– Priority: The time limit for the PCT national phase entry is 30 months from the earliest date of priority for national phases and 12 months for local patent applications.
– Examination: The Request for examination must be filed within 36 months from the International filing date for PCT application or from the Brazilian filing date for conventional applications.
– Patent Grant: Once the patent is accepted for registration the applicant must proceed with the payment of Patent Grant fees within 60 days from the issuance notice. Once the patent certificate is issued we will forward it to the client.
– Maintenance: Maintenance fees in Brazil applies for patents pending and must be paid annually starting in the 3rd year and counting from the filing date.
– Patent term: 20 years from the date of filing of the application.
For further information feel free to contact us or you can also visit the official website of the Intellectual Property Office trough the following link: