Chile patent application requirements and general information
1.- Chile patent application requirements
– Patent Filing service form.
– Patent specifications (abstract, description, claims and drawings) in Spanish and in Word format.
– Copy of any amendment made to the patent specifications if it applies.
– Copy of the priority document, PCT application number or ISR (International search report) if it applies.
– Payment upfront.
– Power of attorney. The template of this document will be sent once the service request is confirmed.
2.- Other General information
-Priority: The time limit for the PCT national phase entry is 30 months from the earliest date of priority and 12 months for non-PCT application. This term cannot be restored.
-Examination: The Request for examination must be filed within 2 months from the publication of the application.
In Chile it is possible to request an accelerated examination under the PPH (Patent Prosecution Highway). PPH participation can reduce examination time by more than half.
-Maintenance: After the patent has been granted, the first ten years fee must be paid. The second renewal fee will be due after the first 10 years of validity.
-Patent term: 20 years from the date of filing of the application or the international filing date for National Phases.
For further information feel free to contact us or you can also visit the official website of the Intellectual Property Office trough the following link: