Colombia patent application requirements and general information
1.- Colombia Patent Application requirements
– Patent Filing service form.
– Patent specifications (abstract, description, claims and drawings) in Spanish and in Word format.
– Copy of any amendment made to the patent specifications if it applies.
– Copy of the priority document, PCT application number or ISR (International search report) if it applies.
– Payment upfront.
– Power of attorney. The template of this document will be sent once the service request is confirmed.
2.-General information of the patent process in Colombia
-Priority: The time limit for the PCT national phase entry is 31 months from the earliest date of priority and 12 months for non-PCT application. This term can be restored under certain circumstances.
-Examination: The Request for examination must be filed within 6 months from the publication of the application and the first examiner report is issued between 12 and 18 months. In this country the examination must be requested each time a response is filed in respect of an examination report. In Colombia it is possible to request an accelerated examination under the PPH (Patent Prosecution Highway). PPH participation can reduce examination time by more than half.
-Maintenance: After the patent has been granted, the first annuity fee must be paid each year from the International Application date for PCT or before the Colombian application date for non-PCT applications.
-Patent term: 20 years from the date of filing of the application or the international filing date for National Phases.
For further information feel free to contact us or you can visit the official website of the Intellectual Property Office trough the following link: