France patent application requirements and general information
1.- French Patent Requirements
– Patent Filing service form.
– Patent specifications (abstract, description, claims and drawings) in French and in Word format.
– Copy of any amendment made to the patent specifications if it applies.
– Copy of the priority document, PCT application number or ISR (International search report) if it applies.
– Payment upfront.
– Power of attorney signed. The template of this document will be sent once the service request is confirmed.
2.-Patents in France
– Priority: The time limit for claiming priority is 12 months for local patent applications. Restoration of this term is possible within 2 months.
– Examination: The search fee must be paid upon filing or within a time limit of 1 month from the filing date. The search results are in the form of a “preliminary search report” with written opinion, having the same structure as a European or PCT search report.
In France it is possible to request an accelerated examination under the PPH (Patent Prosecution Highway).
– Patent grant: When the final search report is drawn up, the Applicant is invited to pay the grant and printing fees.
– Maintenance: Maintenance fees must be paid at the beginning of the second anniversary of the effective filing date.
– Patent term: 20 years from the date of filing of the application.
For further details, feel free to contact us.
You can also visit the official website of the Intellectual property office trough the following link: