Germany patent application requirements and general information
1.- German Patent Requirements
– Patent Filing service form.
– Patent specifications (abstract, description, claims and drawings) in German and in Word format.
– Copy of any amendment made to the patent specifications if it applies.
– Copy of the priority document, PCT application number or ISR (International search report) if it applies.
– Payment upfront.
– Power of attorney signed. The template of this document will be sent once the service request is confirmed.
– Priority: The time limit for the PCT national phase entry is 30 months from the earliest date of priority for national phases and 12 months for local patent applications and restoration of this term is not possible.
– Examination: The 2. Request for examination must be filed within 7 years from the International Filing Date for PCT national phases and from the filing date for conventional applications.
In Germany it is possible to request an accelerated examination under the PPH (Patent Prosecution Highway).
– Maintenance: Maintenance fees must be paid at the beginning of the fourth anniversary of the effective filing date.
– Patent term: 20 years from the date of filing of the application.
For further information, feel free to contact us or you can always contact the local Intellectual property office trough the following link: