India patent application requirements and general information
1.- Documents required for filing of Patent Application in India
– Patent Filing service form.
– Patent specifications (abstract, description, claims and drawings) in English and in Word format.
– Copy of any amendment made to the patent specifications if it applies.
– Copy of the priority document, PCT application number or ISR (International search report) if it applies.
– Payment upfront.
– Power of attorney signed. The template of this document will be sent once the service request is confirmed.
2.- General information India
-Priority: The time limit for the PCT national phase entry is 31 months from the earliest date of priority. For national filings (non-PCT) the term for filing the application claiming priority is 12 months from the priority date. Restoration of this term is not possible.
-Examination: The “2. Request for examination” must be filed within 4 years from the priority date.
-Maintenance: Annuities must be paid along with the granting notification, after this must be paid each subsequent year.
-Patent term: 20 years from the date of filing of the application or the international filing date.
For further information feel free to contact us. You can also can contact the Intellectual Property Office trough the following link: