Japan patent application requirements and general information
1.- Japan Patent Application Requirements
Below the main requirements in order to apply for an invention pantent in Japan with us.
– Patent Filing service form.
– Patent specifications (abstract, description, claims and drawings) in Japanese and in Word format.
– Copy of any amendment made to the patent specifications if it applies.
– Copy of the priority document, PCT application number or ISR (International search report) if it applies.
– Payment upfront.
– Power of attorney signed. The template of this document will be sent once the service request is confirmed.
2.- Other information
-Priority: The time limit for the PCT national phase entry is 30 months from the earliest date of priority. For national filings (non-PCT) the term for filing the application claiming priority is 12 months from the priority date. Restoration of this term is not available in Japan.
-Examination: The “2. Request for examination” must be filed within 3 years from the International Filing Date for PCT national phases and from the filing date for conventional applications. The first examination report is issued between 12 and 18 months from the date of the examination request.
In Japan it is possible to request an accelerated examination under the PPH (Patent Prosecution Highway).
-Patent Grant: Once the patent is accepted for registration the applicant must proceed with the payment of “3. Patent Grant” fees within 30 days from the notice of acceptance along with the annuities for the first three years.
Once the patent certificate is issued we will send it to the client.
-Maintenance: During the 3rd year of the patent validity, the 4th annuity should be paid within the 3rd year from the registration date, and so on.
For further information feel free to contact us. You can also always contact the official Intellectual Patent Office trough the following link: