Portugal patent application requirements and general information
1.- Filing information – Portugal Patent
– Patent Filing service form.
– Patent specifications (abstract, description, claims and drawings) in Portuguese and in Word format.
– Copy of any amendment made to the patent specifications if it applies.
– Copy of the priority document, PCT application number or ISR (International search report) if it applies.
– Payment upfront.
– Power of attorney signed. The template of this document will be sent once the service request is confirmed.
2.- Patent in Portugal
– Priority: The time limit for the PCT national phase entry is 30 months from the earliest date of priority for national phases, then is 12 months for direct patent applications based on the Paris convention treaty.
– Examination: Examination is conducted automatically once the application has been filed. In Portugal it is possible to request an accelerated examination under the PPH (Patent Prosecution Highway).
– Maintenance: Maintenance fees must be paid as from the 3rd year from the PCT international filing date.
– Patent term: 20 years from the date of filing of the application.
For more information about the process, feel free to contact us or you can also visit the official Intellectual property office of Portugal trough the following link: