US patent application requirements and general information
Find below a brief information about the requirements for a patent application in the US and about the main stages of the process.
1.- US patent application Requirements
– Patent Filing service form.
– Patent specifications (abstract, description, claims and drawings) in English and in Word format.
– Copy of any amendment made to the patent specifications if it applies.
– Copy of the priority document, PCT application number or ISR (International search report) if it applies.
– Payment upfront.
– Power of attorney signed. The template of this document will be sent once the service request is confirmed
2.- General information for a utility patent in US
– Priority: The time limit for the PCT national phase entry in the US is 30 months from the earliest date of priority. This time limit can be restored within 2 months of the missed term paying an additional fee.
– Examination by the US Patent Office: The first examination report should be issued by the USPTO between 12 and 18 months from the application date.
– Allowance and registration: Once the patent is accepted for registration the applicant must proceed with the payment of the Allowance fees within 3 months. Once the patent certificate is issued we will forward it to the client.
– Maintenance: The payment of the Maintenance fees are due at 3.5 years, 7.5 years and 11.5 years from the registration date.
– Patent term: 20 years from the earliest application date of the invention.
For further information feel free to contact us or you can also visit the website of the Intellectual Property Office trough the following link: