Patent Services in European Union
We are aware of the importance and sensitivity of our client´s patents, and because of this we are always trying to deliver high quality standards services through a personalized support. Below you will be able to review our service options:
1. Local/Direct Patent Filing in almost any country
2. PCT National Phases in all PCT contracting states
3. International PCT application.
4. Regional patent applications (EPO, GCC, ARIPO, EAPO, OAPI)
PATENT INFRINGEMENT SERVICES
1. Infringement Identification Search per patent
2. Infringement Contentions Preparation per patent
3. Invalidity Contentions Preparation per patent
4. Response to Invalidity Contentions Preparation per patent
5. Patent to Product Mapping/Claim Chart/EoU Preparation per claim chart
PATENT ANALYSIS SERVICES
1. Novelty/Patentability Search
2. Freedom-to-Operate/FTO Study
3. Patent & Business Landscape
4. Patent Invalidity Search
1. Patent draft in English and Spanish.
2. Analysis and preparation of responses for office actions.
3. Annuity payments and patent prosecution.
4. Translation services in more than 40 languages.
Patent Application in Europe
The European Patent Office (EPO) is one of the contracting states of the PCT, you can either apply your patent trough the PCT system with a National Phase Entry or you can apply directly as a local filing. Below you will find information on both methods.
The European patent application is an excellent strategy for those applicants that are seeking wide coverage of protection. Once the patent application is granted the applicant can extend the protection to 42 contracting states. View full list in the following link: https://www.epo.org/about-us/foundation/member-states.html
PCT National Phase
In most cases, a year is not enough time to gather investors, to test the recently developed invention your company is launching and to know exactly in which which countries the invention will have commercial applicability. With a PCT Application you do not need to decide where to file specific foreign patent applications for up to 30 months from your first priority date. Even more, the PCT is a standardized process to file multiple applications in foreign countries.
If you already have an International PCT and need to enter into National Phase in Europe (EPO), we only required the following:
- PCT publication number
- International Search Report
- Translation if applies
- Any amendments made to the PCT original filing, if applies.
If you have a filed patent in any country and you need to expand its protection to Europe (EPO), you can proceed with a national application within 12 months from the earliest priority filing date. In general, a direct national patent application strategy is recommended if you know exactly where your target market is and probably if you want to protect your application in a few countries only.
If you need to proceed with the filing of a national application you have to consider the following requirements:
- Patent specifications in the local language (Abstract, application text, claims and drawings).
- Copy of the foreign priority including, country, filing date, title, owner and inventors. If applies.
With us, the filing process (PCT or Direct filing) should take 3 -5 days once we have received all the information required. Our global experience along with a high quality local patent attorneys and experts will make this process easier, clear and fast. Contact us so we can review your the original patent application details and provide you with our expert advice.
This is the main requirement in order to start a patent protection process.
General process of a patent application
Patent Filing: Once you have your patent draft already written we will prepare the documentation for a proper patent application in the regarding country.
Patent Filing: Once you have your patent draft already written we will prepare the documentation for a proper patent application in the relevant country.
Office action: The patent office will issue an examination report with observations and requirements to the application.
Patent Granting and validation: Once the examination has ended and if the patent office has accepted your application your patent will be granted.
Maintenance fee: In almost every country you need to pay a yearly fee in order to keep your patent in force.
1. Time frame: The patent process through the European Patent Office normally can takes up to 2 years from the filing to the granting.
2. Patent applications Through the European Patent Office: 33.052 no-resident applications were filed through the EPO in 2016 (https://data.worldbank.org/).
Patent Application Budget
The patent process is complex and expensive, before starting a global invention protection, it is important to determine the budget and define a budget strategy because the costs involved can vary depending on the invention and the country where you are seeking the patent protection.
For a better understanding of the costs, please contact us.